Potomac River Guide Home

Regional Interactive Maps

Thematic Maps

Search Potomac Sites

City Canal

National Park Service Unit

The Lock Keeper's House, at the corner of Constitution Ave. and 17th Street N.W., is one of the oldest of the stone houses in the city. It was built around 1835 to serve as the residence for the lock keeper of the Washington City Canal. The canal passed in front of the house and emptied into Tiber Creek and eventually the Potomac River. The canal was considered unhealthy and a source of disease, and was filled in to create the Mall area. The house is the sole reminder of the old ditch.

Click here for larger map and nearby sites.

Contact Information
National Park Service
900 Ohio Drive S.W.
Washington DC 20240
202-426-6841
Website