Potomac River Guide Home

Interactive Maps

The Lower Potomac

The Potomac Estuary

Mount Vernon to Reagan Airport

Mall Area

Georgetown to Great Falls

Potomac Piedmont

Upper Potomac

The North Branch

Boat Ramps

Monitoring Sites

Bridges and Ferries

Cruises and Charters

Search Potomac Sites

Broad Run Aqueduct

Historic Site

At canal mile 31.9, between White's Ferry and Edwards Ferry, the canal built the Broad Run Aqueduct, also referred to as the Broad Run Trunk. Two wooden culverts were placed side by side and served as an aqueduct across this small stream. The canal calls it a "Trunk" but most people refer to it as an aqueduct. Construction began in 1829 and was completed in 1833. It was rebuilt in 1956, but burned down during the Civil War. The wooden culverts needed to be replaced frequently; there is currently only a small fragment of them visible in the stone walls around the aqueduct.

Suggested Links

Click here for larger map and nearby sites.

Contact Information
National Park Service

Dickerson MD

Website