|<-----Potomac River Guide Home Page|
Reedville is named for Captain Elijah Reed. It features historic Victorian
mansions built by factory owners and fishing boat captains. Main Street was
known as "Millionaire's Row," home to wealthy fishermen who made their fortunes
from the menhaden that was plentiful in the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay. The
Reedville Fishermen's Museum, in the Reedville Historic District, tells the
story of the menhaden fishing industry, the watermen of the Northern Neck,
and the Victorian fishing village of Reedville. Self-guided walking tours
of the historic district are available from the museum. Reedville is also
a significant charter fishing center for Chesapeake Bay bluefish and rockfish
with more than 50 boats operating out of the area. An official Virginia scenic
byway, the Northumberland Heritage Trail, from the Reedville Historic District
to the Heathsville Historic District, follows back roads along the Potomac
and its tributaries. It crosses the Little Wicomico River via the Sunnybank
Ferry. Established in 1906, this is one of two remaining free ferries in
Virginia. For several decades, it carried workers to the Reedville menhaden
industry. The present metal boat, the Northumberland, began service in 1985.
Blow your horn for ferry service 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Entry information for the Bluefish Derby is available from Smith Point
Sea Rescue, Inc., P.O. Box 203, Reedville, VA 22539, or from Jetts Hardware,
Reedville, VA 22539. Telephone: 804-453-5325. Cruises are available from
Reedville to Smith Island in Chesapeake Bay at the KOA Campground near Reedville.
For information, call 804-453-3430.