|<-----Potomac River Guide Home Page|
|Trinity Episcopal Church,on Route 5 at St. Mary's City, was built from bricks salvaged from the original State House. The Leonard Calvert Monument, located on church grounds, marks the site where the Maryland colonists assembled to establish government and freedom to worship.|
St. Ignatius Church: The first chapel in Maryland, named for St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), was built at St. Mary's in 1641. In 1704, after religious services were forbidden at the chapel, the parish moved to St. Inigoes Manor, down the St. Mary's River. In 1745, a small wooden church was built; in 1785, the present St. Ignatius Church was constructed. Today, the church is open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and schedules special services on Maryland Day (March 29). The church is located off Route 5, on Villa Road in St. Inigoes.
St. George's Island, on Route 249, is connected to the mainland by a steel bridge. The island once belonged to the Jesuits as a part of St. Inigoes Manor. In July 1776, a battle was fought here to keep the British from crossing to the mainland. The area here has long been famous for its oyster crop. Today, vacation cottages, seafood restaurants, and good fishing attract numerous visitors to this small island.
A boat ramp is available on the mainland side of the bridge.